Re: learning MySQL

As far as versions, the easiest way to start is to use the packaged RPMS
that you get via apt. Not the most recent but very stable and well
supported and documented.

I strongly suggest that you will want to also install the phpMyAdmin
application for management of the mysql server and databases. It makes
mysql almost painless (once installed), and I also use it to create the
sql statements to be used in custom php scripts.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/

There is a book about phpMyAdmin, but I've never seen it and I'm sure that
quickly gets out of date because phpMyAdmin is a really active project.
Still, it could be helpfull.

http://www.packtpub.com/view_book/isbn/1904811035

As for books, there are sooo many available it's hard to say. My
preference is for the "cookbook" style because I tend not to go through
lessons but jump in. So the ones I use most are the "PHP Cookbook"
(O'Reilly) and the "PHP Developers Cookbook" (SAMS), and the "Mysql
Cookbook" (O'Reilly). The New Riders "Mysql" book is also a great
reference. Maybe someone else will have good tutorial book suggestions.
Really, everything you need will be online, assuming that you like to read
online documentation.

Erich

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Dan Fleischer wrote:

> I'm at a point where I need to learn to use MySQL in a
> FedoraCore+apache2+PHP environment and I'm a newbie when it comes to
> databases.  Any suggestions on learning materials online, books, etc?
>
> Additionally, are there any minimum version numbers for MySQL or PHP to
> work with httpd 2.0.x?  apt-get wants to install php-4.3.8 and
> mysql-3.23.58, even though I know that mysql is available from a mirror
> as 4.0.x
>
> Thanks in advance,

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/