Re: Recording Web Radio?

> I have an older pc running W2K that I would like to
> switch to linux but I have one app that I am not sure
> how to replace.  I use a program called ReplayRadio,
> http://www.replay-radio.com/, that lets me record web
> radio to mp3 at preset times. Sort of like a vcr for
> web radio.
>
> Is there anyway to easily accomplish the same thing
> under linux?

I shouldn't be supporting pirating ... but this is relatively easy under
Linux or anything else that supports XMMS. Just open up the
shoutcast/icecast/whatever else you have a plugin for in xmms/etc in xmms
(www.xmms.org, if it isn't already installed (probably as default) in your
distro)), open up preferences, highlight mp3 and click configure. Choose
"save streams to disk" and pick a location to save them to.

Now you'll need a program to separate them. Search freshmeat.net. You can
use Audacity if you want, but it might be overkill. In Audacity, you'll be
opening up the stream and separating it into smaller files. You'll be
looking for areas where the waves aren't large as a starting place to cut.
When in doubt, listen to the stream.

Hope this helps. And remember, music piracy/copyright infringement is
wrong. So is my grammar.

Brandon