Re: up2date on Advanced Server 2.1

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 11:02, Ken Hagan wrote:
> Several of you all have discussed using things like apt-get and up2date to keep
> systems up to date.  I've historically been someone who installs a distribution
> and then ends up hand-compiling updates from then forward.  I have inherited
> several systems running Advanced server 2.1 and would really like to get
> everything up to date in an automated and more supportable manner.
>
> The Redhat Network let me do everything but the kernel modules.  They simply
> dump out a dumb error:

> kernel                                  2.4.9          e.48 Pkg name/pattern
> kernel-headers                          2.4.9          e.48 Pkg name/pattern
> kernel-smp                              2.4.9          e.48 Pkg name/pattern
> kernel-source                           2.4.9          e.48 Pkg name/pattern
>
> None of the packages you requested were found, or they are already updated.
>
> I cannot get the other updates installed because they evidently depend on having
> a recent kernel or depend on a module that depends on a recent kernel.
>
> The boxes are running 2.4.9e3 and some are in internal production so I can't
> really spend too much time monkeying around and breaking stuff (and really
> don't want to).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get up2date to install the modules?
> Anyone know where the proper repository is for updated rpms for Redhat Advanced
> Server 2.1 so I could potentially download and manually rpm install the kernel
> modules?

Ken,

I assume you're talking about Red Hat Enterprise Linux / Enterprise
Server (RHEL/ES) v2.1 (a.k.a. Panama). Technically there's no such thing
as "Advanced server v2.1". RHEL v3.0 is available in Advanced Server
(/AS) form.

When you "inherited" these systems, do you know if they were registered
for [paid] RHN support?  If the annual maintenance subscription fees had
not paid and their RHN entitlements expired, call Red Hat and caugh up
the $349 for each system ($149 each if they're RHEL/WS v2.1).

If you or your boss can't/won't pay for annual maintenance fees, then
check out http://www.whiteboxlinux.org. You might be able to find
RHEL-compatible updates there.

If the kernel modules aren't being installed because up2date has been
configured not to update kernel* packages. You can change this by
editing /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date.

Then add the following script in /etc/cron.daily and give it the same
ownership and permissions as the other cron jobs:

     #!/bin/sh
     /usr/sbin/up2date-nox -u

This will automatically update each system every day at 4:01 a.m.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov