Re: PHP vs Perl

KK> I don't want to start a flame war over this...

Too late!

KK> but I would like to get your opinions on this.

I will jump into this without even having read the other responses.
IANAP!  I am not a programmer!  I do *not* enjoy writing code.  But,
UNIX offers unlimited power to those willing to force themselves to
learn a scripting language.  With that thought in mind, I decided that
I was going to force myself to learn ONE and ONLY ONE scripting
language.  The choice was obvious.  Well, maybe the choice isn't
obvious.

Perl is the swiss army chainsaw du jour, but Python, which I believe
came into existence some five or ten years later, seems to be popular
with many people and I'm wondering if the two languages may be
nose-to-nose ten years from now.  Python may or may not be an object
oriented language.  Let's try that again.  Perl has OO capabilities,
but not all people use them.  For all I know, very few people use
them.  Python also may or may not have both OO and non-OO
capabilities.  (Have I butchered this paragraph sufficiently?)

If Python is *primarily* a OO language, then Perl vs. Python takes on
all the characteristics of the eternal C vs C++ war.  Otherwise, I
think that Python's star is still ascending.

But that wasn't your question.  Your question was PHP vs Perl.  I have
been studying MySQL the last couple of months.  I've slogged through a
couple of MySQL/Perl books.  It finally dawned on me one day that for
every MySQL/Perl book I see on the shelf at Borders or B&N, I see ten
more books on MySQL/PHP.  That *ought* to tell me something!  And I'm
still cogitating on this...

As I said, IANAP!