Re: Where did my disk space go?

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Charlie Brune wrote:

> I have used only 17G of space on /chas, but it tells me that I'm down to
> 191GB.  Details of a "df -h" command are:

	Ext2 and Ext3 (assuming that is the filesystem it was formatted
with) by default reserve 5% of the partition for the root account.  This
prevents a regular user account from being able to completely fill up a
filesystem.  If you are using Ext3 and don't place the journal on another
partition, it will take up some space too.

	When formatting a partition with mke2fs, you can specify the % of
disk to reserve with the -m option.  The command:

	mke2fs -j -m0 /dev/hda1

	will reserve 0% of the disk for root only.  This is common for a
data partition, or any partition that isn't considered a "system"
partition.  /home is a good candidate.

	If the partition is formatted already, you can adjust the reserved
% with 'tune2fs -mX' where X is the % you want reserved.

--
Richard H. Fifarek
rfifarek@fifarek.net