Re: ftp server outage

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 21:15, Kara Pritchard wrote:
> They are cheaper, depending on the size of the unit.  For individual
> desktop units, it's generally a wash, unless you got some smart-ups beast
> :)

Guilty as charged. I don't mess around when it comes to power or
backups.

My primary UPS is a Powerware Prestige 9 1500VA single phase full period
true sine wave output, with one expansion unit. The main box has five
12V 5Ah batteries with ten in the annex. It's capable of holding a full
rated load (~1kW) for a minimum of 23 minutes. As a full period UPS
rather than a switching standby UPS, it also provides far better
protection against surges, spikes, and lightning strikes than any surge
suppressor.

The only "downside" of this unit (besides weighing 63 pounds) is that I
can't use it with surge suppressing power strips containing MOVs. The
microamp leakage current that flows through an MOV triggers the neutral
line monitor alarm just like a GFI circuit.

My backup UPS is a simpler EAZY 1.2kW full period true sine wave unit.
I'm sorry I didn't know about your power problem. I'd have gladly loaned
it to you to get your systems back on the air.

--Doc