Re: automated installer

> But the premiss that they don't want to know anything and they don't
> want to pay you and they want it to work sounds a little, uh,
> far-fetched.

Well, yeah, mostly. At least to those of us somewhat in the know. They could
either be unscroupulous folks who are truly trying to get something for
nothing (I used to have a couple of customers like that, until I realized
that my life was going to be better by sending them to a competitor), or
they're just plain ignorant, in which case it's up to the vendor (you) to
educate them. (Of course, some folks just don't want to be educated...)

There's no harm in them asking for what they want; if they precondition their
requests to what THEY think is reasonable, then the vendor will never know
what they really want want, and thus never be able to offer them a solution
that might actually exist and be able to fit their needs.

> With my dream car, I won't have to know how to drive, I
> won't have to pay for gas or maintenance, and it will take me to and
> from work everyday.

OK, yeah, that's unreasonable. But not so long ago it would have been
unreasonable to walk into a dealership and ask for a car that would never get
a flat tire. These days, if you're willing to spend the money, you can get
one. But if you let your ignorance from 30 years ago precondition your asking
for this 'unreasonable' feature nowadays, you'd be short-changing yourself.

I think it's great that the customer asked for their ideal configuration. If
it can't be met, no harm done. But what if some creative consultant CAN come
up with a configuration that meets their needs. Yowza! Miracle worker!

And, frankly, I can see their point. I kinda expect that performance from my
toaster, ya know <s>. How long do we have to wait, blah blah blah, you
know...

--
Whil

Moving to Linux: Freedom, Choice, Security, Opportunity
http://www.hentzenwerke.com