Re: automated installer

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, William Mulvihill wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>     I'm wondering if there is anything in Linux distros that would work
> in this situation.  I have a client who wants to have a Linux server
> serving our product, but they want to know NOTHING about Linux.  They
> also don't want to continue to pay me to support it.  So they want some
> kind of "recovery" disk that would reinstall the server from scratch,
> including OS and my web application.  There is no user data that would
> need to be saved.  They just want some kind of disk that they can slap
> into the drive on boot up and follow a few (very few and dead simple)
> instructions, press a few (the less the better!) keys, and voila!  Their
> server is restored.

This is definately one of the crazier things I've heard in awhile.  As
someone pointed out, webhosting but it sounds like if they're going to be
that cheap then webhosting is out.

Please tell me they're running this on a 486 :)

Mondo (search for it on Freshmeat) is probably a good way to get them back
up and running if the HD fails and user data is not important (well, Mondo
is good if user data is important).  In your case you'd only need to run
Mondo backup once and then test it to make sure it will recover.  Once
you're satified with the recovery then all they should need to do is pop
the disc back in.

Sean..

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's