Re: Mandrake 10.0 hardware problems.

ok first for the zip drive, no idea, never used one under linux, not even
sure what /dev/* device they would show up as if not something like
/dev/hdb.  i defer this to someone else on the list who has used a zip.  i
personally stopped using zips at all when i started seeing customer zip
drives failing at what i considered to be a rather high rate (think click of
death).  i wouldnt trust a zip to hold any data you dont have backed up
somewhere else, but as with all things, YMMV.

as for the firewire drive, it will appear to the system as a scsi hard
drive.  you will probably have to mount it manually.  open up a terminal,
then "su -" to get to root.  do an "fdisk -l /dev/sd?".  this will give you
a list of all the scsi hard drives the system thinks it has and tell you if
they have a partition table.  if it doesnt show up, there was a script that
someone on this list gave me a long time ago which would cause the system to
recheck all of the scsi ids in the system to look for any scsi hardware
changes.  it worked well for me, and if you need it we can search the list
archives for it.

if you can find what /dev/sdX drive it is, you can mount it by first
creating a mount point, such as "mkdir /mnt/firewire".  then if it is
/dev/sda, you can use "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/firewire" to mount it.   then
you will be able to browse to /mnt/firewire and see what is on the drive.
if this works let us know and we can help you make it easier to do so.

does the firewire controller show up in any kind of hardware list?  IIRC
mandrake has some kind of hardware browsing utility that ships with it.  you
can also do an lsmod as root to see what modules are loaded, then look for
any that talk about 1394.

im not that familiar with mandrake, but have you tried looking on mandrake's
community forums?  someone has probably ran into at least the 1394 drive
issue before so i would say that there is a fix listed.

Casey