Re: fc2 issues

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:13:00PM -0500, Casey Boone wrote:
> i havent yet tried doing a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda yet, i will try that
> tonight after i get home from work as there might be some kind of odd
> remnants of the debian install still there.

More likely the drive geometry (either in the BIOS or the partition
table) is a little wacky.  Apparently some of the old compatibility
cruft was removed from 2.6, and now that's biting people in the ass on
a regular basis.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M count=1 (to zero out the first 1MB)
should take care of the problem.  Since you are wiping it clean
anyway, you may as well do that.

> anyone else have any ideas? ive not really heard of anyone having major
> problems with fc2 installation except for the occasional blown up ntfs
> partition (which isnt an issue for my file server as there is no need for a
> windows installation)

Apparently this is a common problem, but it mostly causes problems for
people dual-booting.

  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html