Re: RedHat Desktop Distro

> Just saw this on Osnews.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/desktop/
>
> Red Hat Desktop is the newest member of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> family.
> It provides a high-quality, full-featured client system that is suitable
> for
> use in a wide range of desktop deployments.
>
> Personally I don't think it will be as good as Libranet or Xandros.

That depends on what you're looking for. The key words are "desktop
deployment". RHEL/WS is strongly client-oriented and doesn't come with
BIND and a lot of other services common to many distributions. As such it
is a functional counterpart for Windows XP Professional + Office XP
Professional.

One thing it *will* have is professional support from RHN. I'm not
familiar with Libranet or Xandros, but as an RHCE in charge of 100
workstations I would be very comfortable with RHN support set up on each.
(Of course I'd create a local up2date server to minimize wide area network
traffic.)

--Doc