Re: Open Source's effects on programmer jobs

Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> The open source model is very similar to the scientific publishing
 > model. I can't imagine what would happen to the academic research
 > community if all new ideas were patented and commercialized.

Probably something like the academic publishing community, where
professors teach from their own textbooks, conveniently revised every
year, so that previous students have worthless editions, and new
students pay full price, to completely destroy the *value* that the
first-sale doctrine has for consumers of published works.

Imagine if more colleges adopted MIT's Open Courseware concept? Or where
the books taught in all classes had to be either GPL'd, GFDL'd,
CreativeCommons, BSD, or, heaven forbid, *public domain*.

It's so bad that "professors" are claiming that student's class notes
are "derived works" from their lectures/teaching, and therefore,
attribute the copyright back to the teacher/university. So that the
"learning" product they sell is only given to those that pay, and
maintain the monopoly over "education".

Yep. I'm with RMS on this one - "Intellectual Property" is neither.

Mike/