Re: QOTD (question of the day)

On Friday, April 23, 2004, at 05:00  PM, <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> On Friday April 23, 2004 Ken Hagan <ken@alacrity-it.com> wrote:
>> cat <file> | cut -c 5-80
>> or something like that will give you columns 5 through 80.
>>
>> cut is your friend.

Or a shortened version:

   cut -c 5- file

But the original question was to remove the numbers and the space:

On Friday, April 23, 2004, at 03:58  PM, <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> I want to strip away these line numbers. Depending on the number of
> lines
> in a file, there are either three digits or four followed by a space.

... or possibly 1 or 2 or 5 or more digits?  Including the space?
Because of the variable length of initial digits, sed is the better
tool:

N sourcecodetextsourcecodetextsourcecodetext
NN sourcecodetextsourcecodetextsourcecodetext
NNN sourcecodetextsourcecodetextsourcecodetext
NNNN sourcecodetextsourcecodetextsourcecodetext
NNNNN sourcecodetextsourcecodetextsourcecodetext
!

Regards,
- Robert