Re: Fedora Core 2 and SELinux (fwd)

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 21:38, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> I thought some of you might be interested in this, given the
> conversations we've had about it at the last few meetings...

Steve,

SELinux is also included in FC2t2, but it is not disabled by default.
That causes a number of problems for those of us who don't yet know all
the fine points of working with it.

A couple of examples:

* By default in FC2t2, SELinux policies do not allow anyone but root to
mount /dev/cdrom -- no matter what options may be set in /etc/fstab.

* After running 'su -', users are not allowed access root's home
directory, /root.

Also, after updating up2date itself (recommended first step), I was
unable to use up2date to fetch and install the other 450+ pending
updates. Another policy, no doubt.

I have no doubt that SELinux will be a useful enhancement to RHEL in a
professional environment, but its learning curve is going to be steep.

--Doc