Re: Linux Lunch and Learns...

If you're talking mostly to programmers and trying to evangelize Linux, perhaps
you could start by evanglizing UNIX in general?  Explaining how everything is
treated like a file, toolchains, pipes, the things that make UNIX rawk from the
command line.  Usually after I show a VB or Delphi or other GUI programmer how
much I can do from one command line or how simple it is to pipe output to
network sockets, printers, or even soundcards, their interest in the UNIX world
is piqued.  Command line scripts are much easier than having to open Excel or
write a ton of VB just do a sort by multiple columns.  That's usually how I get
coworkers initially hooked on heroin --er-- UNIX -- and then I get them doing
more and more involved things with it.

Perhaps something like CVS (which I prefer to SourceSafe on a number of levels)
or talking about specific applications like MySQL would be a good way to
explain to people why the Linux world is more cool and what can be done.

I've also gotten some people to lean towards conversion by showing them PHP for
web applications and PERL+TK for GUI applications on Windows and UNIX.  It's
neat for people just learning Linux to be able to write things for Windows and
Linux at the same time.

Quoting fiaid@quasi-sane.com:

> It is going to be mostly programmers, so I will be talking to essentially
> the lowest level of humanity.  They were looking specifically for Linux
> things, I also harranged another poor soul into this so I will have
> someone to keep me from choking everyone.
>
> Tighe
>
> > Iighe:
> >
> >  What does the audience consist of? Fellow sys admins, college students,
> > people from the trucking industry?
> >
> > For *BSD here are some great overviews:
> > The BSDs: Sophisticated, Powerful, and (Mostly) Free
> > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,555398,00.asp
> > And
> > Outside Looking In: The BSD Operating Systems
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1368006,00.asp
> >

> > -
> > To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with
> > "unsubscribe silug-discuss" in the body.
> >

> --
> Tighe Schlottog         workape         fiaid
> "Nothing is too cruel if it is funny enough."

Ken Hagan
Technology Consultant
Alacrity-IT, Inc
http://www.alacrity-it.com/