Re: Free Windows or Open Source UN*X ?[was] under Windows

On Tuesday, March 30, 2004, at 10:57  AM, Drews, Jonathan* wrote:
> [...]

There are more than two choices.  Personally, my interest is in
OpenSource.  Linux just happens to be one portion.  BSD is another.
OpenOffice and Mozilla are yet another.

Would I want a Free Version of Windows?  Free as in "beer" - no.  Free
as in "freedom" - yes.  Would I use it?  Probably, yes (I already use
FreeDOS, an OpenSource implementation of DOS.)  Is MS Windows every
going to be Free as in "freedom", as in free to copy, as in free to
modify, and as in free to distribute?  Probably, not.  Will there ever
be an OpenSource implementation of Windows?  Probably, not.  Will there
be OpenSource that runs under Windows?  Absolutely.  Will I encourage
people to use it?  Absolutely.  Right now that includes Mozilla,
OpenOffice, MySQL, Cygwin, among many others.

Regards,
- Robert