Re: chmod + chown

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 20:14, Robert Citek wrote:
> On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 07:16  PM, Casey Boone wrote:
> > i love grep, i use it daily (almost literally)
> > insanely useful little tool.  so useful i had to find a win32 version
> > for when i am in windows (along with a few other *nix command line
> > tools)
>
> What win32 version did you find?  Cygwin, MKS toolkit, something else?

Robert,

If you have broadband access (or unbelievable patience), you can download
the latest UNIX Services for Windows from Microsoft. The self-extracting
zipfile is over 250M. USW is their name for Interix, which M$ acquired 3-4
years ago and promptly buried. Now that they need to offer UNIX support
for their customers, they've resurrected it.

Interix was a genuine, certified UNIX that runs on top of the Windows
NT/2000 (and now XP) kernel. This latest version (3.5 IIRC) is now being
distributed at no cost, just like IE. It contains all the goodies: grep,
find, ls, ...

BTW, I won't claim it's better than Cygwin. Now that they both cost the
same :-), you can pick whichever one you prefer. USW doesn't come with
source code.

--Doc