upgrade rh9+freshrpms -> fc2test1 via cds -- uninstall FRpackages, use Fedora+Livna

John Doe wrote:
> should i expect to run into any problems upgrading from redhat9 +
> freshrpms apt + some freshrpm packages to fc2t1 with the install cds?
> im going to try it here in about 30 minutes or so, thought i would ask
> if anyone thought it might screw something up.

I used to be a huge FreshRPMS.NET fan for Red Hat Linux (RHL).  But I've
now turned away from FreshRPMS.NET for Fedora.

The problem with FreshRPMS.NET for Fedora is the way the RPMs map into
the new, 5-layer Fedora repository organization.  FreshRPMS.NET mixes
non-Open Source with Open Source.

The Fedora.US project _before_ Red Hat's Fedora Core move did the same
thing.  But after the re-organization, all the non-Open Source packages
moved to the "3rd Party" Livna repository.  I've found the Livna packages
are _better_ than FreshRPMS.NET packages -- especially if you're like
me and use MPlayer and Ogle for DVD playback.  Livna's work the best.

I commented on this in my recent "Red Hat and Fedora Tech Guide":
 http://www.smithdot.net/display.php?category=desktop&article=rhl_fedora.txt

So I'd _uninstall_any_ FreshRPMS.NET ("fr" RPMS) and then upgrade using
the following /etc/apt/apt-sources.list:

# Fedora Core
rpm http://download.fedora.us/fedora/ fedora/1/i386 os updates
rpm-src http://download.fedora.us/fedora/ fedora/1/i386 os updates
# Fedora Extras (formerly "Fedora Linux")
rpm http://download.fedora.us/fedora/ fedora/1/i386 stable unstable testing
rpm-src http://download.fedora.us/fedora/ fedora/1/i386 stable unstable testing
# Livna 3rd party packages with questionable (in USA) licenses - use at
#your own risk
rpm http://rpm.livna.org/ fedora/1/i386 stable unstable testing
rpm-src http://rpm.livna.org/ fedora/1/i386 stable unstable testing

Then install whatever programs you want (e.g., apt-get install mplayer).

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org