Re: Fedora Core 1 (was Re: review of Gentoo)

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 15:21, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 02:35:12PM -0600, Tim McDonough wrote:
> > Last weekend I tried to upgrade my RH 8.0 System to Fedora Core 1
> > and it failed also. I have used the same set of CDs to do an install
> > on another machine without a problem.
>
> That's just weird.  I haven't had a *single* install or upgrade fail.

Somewhere in there RH upgraded to the 2.4 kernel (7.3 or 8.0?) and the
requirements for swap partitions jumped significantly. Upgrades failed for
a lot of folks because their existing swap partitions were 'way too small
for the new release.

> When these things happen, you all really should enter a ticket into
> bugzilla.redhat.com with as much information as possible.
>
> > If you have instructions I can easily adapt to upgrading from RH 8
> > using apt I'd like to see them as well.
>
> Upgrading from Red Hat 8 with apt can be somewhat problematic because
> of the
> buggy rpm.  If you can get past that, it's an easy upgrade.
>
> I'll update my instructions and send it out tomorrow.

My [red] hat's off to those who chose to use FC1 (or Gentoo, or anything
else) in business settings. If it weren't for the brave(?), progress for
the rest of us would be a lot slower. For real world businesses, however,
the most reliable, best supported, and reasonably priced Linux
distribution is RHEL, with SuSE a reasonably close second. Don't take my
word for it -- ask Ford, IBM, Dell, and Oracle.

--Doc