Re: review of Gentoo

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:24:09PM -0600, Nate Reindl wrote:
> Then again, I disagree totally about running Gentoo on a server.
> Well, at least having it on a production box; that stuff should be
> left to things like Red Hat (not even Fedora... yet) and Debian.

Repeat after me...  Fedora Core 1 is just Red Hat 10.  Fedora Core 1
is just Red Hat 10...

FC1 is actually quite a bit more suitable for a server than RH9.  The
NPTL stuff is ironed out much better, and the addition of exec-shield
should protect from the vast majority of potential exploits.  Random
other bits are also much more server-quality.

Remember that the whole point of Fedora Core (from Red Hat's
standpoint) is to be able to basically beta-test whatever is going
into future versions of RHEL.  That's why they're in a hurry to push
in bits like exec-shield in FC1 and SELinux in FC2.