Re: Xandros -- "community" != "commercial" distros

Quoting mike808@users.sourceforge.net:
> And my point was that if you bring this up as a (legitimate) complaint
> of Xandros, (as Steve originally did), then it should be brought up for
> *ALL* distros.

What distro does Red Hat charge for and not give telephone installation support?

> The *ONE* exception I've found so far is SuSE. The ONLY ONE.

Red Hat Professional Workstation?
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS, ES, AS?
Others?

> The main point being that Fedora doesn't offer phone installation
> support *either*.

Fedora is a _community_ distro, just like Debian.
Don't compare _community_ distros to _commercial_ distros.

Just because Red Hat provides free build systems and paid developers doesn't
mean it is a _commercial_ distro.

Same deal with Debian and its various, for-profit commercial supporters.

> So to say it's a bigger negative for one distribution over
> another is a red herring.

I didn't say it.
I was merely answering the question.

> And yes, people who get a "free" OS *do* believe they should get
> "free" installation support,

Commercial support costs money.  You either pay for it one way or another.

> or they go post in the forums or review sites or lists
> like this what a crappy distribution such-and-such was.

And I could care less about such users.

Not too long about 9 out of 10 Linux reviews were just the installer!  I'd like
to see Windows stack up to that!

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- b.j.smith@ieee.org
Engineer, Technologist and School Teacher