Re: OEMs, software distribution, P2P (was Xandros --...)

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 02:30, Robert Citek wrote:
> Care to elaborate on Microsoft's distribution channel?  BTW, I agree
> with you whole-heartedly.

Well, we're already going way off-topic.

> However, I also feel that that distribution
> method is MS's weakest point, especially with the ubiquity of the
> Internet, OpenSource software, and Peer-to-Peer file-sharing.
> Microsoft is and should be terrified of OpenSource and P2P like Kazaa,
> Grokster, Gnutella, and BitTorrent.  Why?  Because P2P radically
> changes how software is distributed.

Ahhh, good, you brought it back to Linux.  Yes, by 1995, software
distribution changed radically, just as you pointed out.  The web had
changed everything 2 years earlier, and Linux found its "killer app."

Even Gates, who hated the concept of the Internet out of fear for their
model (as they should), had to admit by late 1995 (after Windows 95 was
released, as well as "The Road [Kill] Ahead" which said "the Internet
was a fad") it was easier to find stuff on their "unofficial" (at the
time) intranet than on the corporate fileserver network.

But _be_careful_ when you put Freedomware and P2P in the same breathe.
Right now companies like SCO are trying to get US legislators to not
differentiate between common Freedomware (ultimate respect for IP) and
common P2P (often seen as anti-IP).

> The whole point of a distribution channel ... cut excellent analysis
> And that probably scares the bijeezes out of MS.

Exactly.  Especially with software like Mozilla, OpenOffice.org on the
desktop, and even more powerful back-ends like Firebird,
OpenGroupware.org, etc...

> So, do you have P2P software on your machine?  Are you helping to
> distribute OpenSource Software?  Are you willing to show others how to
> install and use it?

I cut CDs/DVDs of Linux and Freedomware for Windows.  But I don't want
to bog down my Internet connection at this time.  But I may reconsider.

Hopefully there will be installers that take advantage of P2P soon.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org