Re: barriers to adopting Linux by newbies

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 06:59:33PM -0600, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> the firewall that is a real headache in Linux. I agree with Brandon that

It isn't that bad.  All it takes is some understanding of how
firewalling works and how iptables works.

> ipfw and ipf are a lot easier than the ip chains in Linux. So the

They are, but at the same time, they aren't as, eh, on-the-fly as
iptables.  In order to change something in the rules, you actually
have to load vi and modify them and pass some obscure string of
arguments to ipf to make it flush its current rules and reload the new
ones.

> question is how do we make the linux firewall setup easy to do? Never

Shoreline Firewall (read: Shorewall)
http://www.shorewall.net/

genfw
http://ftp.silug.org/pub/steve/genfw/

--
Nathaniel Reindl

"Du weisst doch, dass du es lesen willst, und mach was du musst, weil
es das einzige Ding wird, das du machen wirst."