CD-R/RW, Kernel 2.6, Other Stuff

SP> This goes away with 2.6 kernels for the most part.  (Things like
SP> ide-tape are still broken enough that ide-scsi will probably work
SP> better, unfortunately, but CD-RWs and similar devices won't need
SP> ide-scsi anymore.)

Today's upgrade to Kernel 2.6 has gone reasonably smoothly; only 20 or
30 landmines were encountered.  :-)

The vast majority of 2.6 error messages disappeared when I cleaned out
/etc/modules.  (And the same error messages no longer appear during
2.4 startup!)  I don't quite see the reasoning behind /etc/modules;
Linux doesn't seem to have any problems auto-detecting hardware all by
itself.

The CD-R was dead until I remembered to go into into /etc/fstab and
switch "scd" back to "hdc."

Under 2.6, Grip isn't detecting audio CDs when I insert them in the
CD-R.  I might not have this new ALSA system correctly configured.
Then again, maybe Grip uses OSS instead of ALSA.  I'll just have to
futz with it a little longer.

I still get error messages telling me that modules cannot be located
and it is assumed that the fuctionality is rolled into the kernel.  In
fact, the modules *are* rolled directly into the kernel!  Why doesn't
the kernel see that?  (That was a rhetorical question.)

I'm not yet burnt out; maybe I'll see if I can make cdrecord work.