Forget MS for a moment, let's talk 100% Dell ... undisputed factsand 1st hand accounts

Let's look at the 100% Dell facts that are _undisputed_:

- Dell _refused_ to sell my company, and at least another 5 companies I
personally contacted in the semiconductor industry, any Linux system but
the _slowest_ CPU and _lowest_ amount of memory (128MB) when Windows as
sold on the exact same model with far faster and more, respectively.

- Dell _stated_ that Linux was only capable of supporting 128MB of RAM
-- I heard this repeatedly from multiple sales and technicians.  They
had no explanation on why only the slowest CPU was available though.

Additionally, this is what I was personally told by multiple Dell reps:

- When pressed, Dell sales reps admitted to me, first-hand, that
numerous customers were not ordering the Linux systems _because_ of the
configuration.

- When pressed, Dell technical reps admitted to me, first-hand, that
Linux supported more than 128MB of RAM, and there were 0 issues with the
i440BX mainboard chipsets and Linux in using more.

So, again, why oh why would Dell _purposely_ attempt to sell only a
configuration that they _knew_ would not sell, including by their own
admission?

I asked myself the same question.  And I came up with no answers.  Then
I heard the "conspiracies."  I dismissed them as well.  And then I heard
more.

When the Spencer F. Katt story broke, I didn't know whether or not to
believe it or not either.  But at least it _confirmed_ that I wasn't
alone, and my inquires were not merely "in the minority."

After some of the Caldera v. Microsoft transcripts and findings became
public in the DOJ case, I discovered a man named "Kempin."  And then it
all made sense, the gossip I had received wasn't merely "out-of-line" of
Microsoft -- it's the game they've _always_ been playing!

It's funny.  Again, did Dell _really_ offer Linux desktops that would
sell?  Not!  So what was the deal?  Please answer that!

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org