Re: What then must we do?

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 19:42, Sean \The RIMBoy\ wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2004, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
> > There are several 2nd tier OEMs.  Don't be afraid to go 2nd tier when
> > you need Linux.  If enough people did that, then:
> >   A)  You save your company time (which is money)
> >   B)  You can now play off their price/services against your 1st tier
> >   C)  Eventually a 1st tier will realize it's worth it

I have been looking hard at www.powrenotebooks.com; they seem to have
some good hardware. However, I will wait for Steve and Kara to get back
to me on the laptops. I trust Stevens competence.

> > I did this very well with Dell and Micron (although we were eventually
> > forced to drop Dell at one company as they simply do not care about
> > sub-400 employee companies).
>
> Frankly, the horror stories I've heard about Micron have kept me away from
> them.  At one point I was willing to suggest them but eventually their
> quality took a turn for the worse.  Their stock was in the crapper too
> which made me question their long term availability (nothing like buying a
> system and then having them go out of business the next day).  Same with
> Gateway.  After a successive string of problems that should have never
> made it out the door we could no longer suggest purchasing hardware from
> them.

Sean:

 I can recommend Steve and Kara's computers. They built one for my
friend and it was a really nice box. Tooless case, MSI 266 MHz MoBo, AMD
2000 Athlon, 256 Mb Ram, ATI Radeon 7500 and a 60 GB (7200 rpm) EIDE
HDD. IIRC, it was ~ $585.00. Of course Linux runs very well on their
boxes. It also had a really nice keyboard and optical mouse.

--
			Kind regards,
			Jonathan