Re: What then must we do?

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 06:06, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> People wouldn't buy the Dell Linux pre-installed versions, but just
> bought the Windows versions.  I know, I did a survey in my own company
> at the time, among others.  The reason why they did not sell is because
> _no_one_ only wanted 128MB of RAM -- _especially_ engineers who often
> ordered 1-1.5GB, the maximum!

Bryan:

 You are right!  I bought a Dell, in Jan 20000, with Red Hat
preinstalled and it came with one of the slowest CPU's at that time. I
remember asking the sales person why the desktop machine could not come
with a faster CPU.

> So Dell and Intel gave up.
>
> That _was_ a mega-conspiracy by Microsoft, one that personally pissed me
> off.  The consumer wanted a product that Microsoft _prevented_ the OEM
> from selling.
>
> But do I want the government involved?  Hell no.  Consumers should put
> their money elsewhere than Dell, they _could_ have stood up to Microsoft
> with Intel's backing.  Dell has Intel in its corner more than anyone
> else.

 I believe that. Two years after I had the RedHat equipped Dell I had
some hardware problems with it and they would not help me. I was getting
e-mail help and when they found out I was using Linux they ceased
corresponding with me. Finally I called and told them "Hey you guys
installed Linux on this, not me". They said they did not know anything
about that.

--
			Kind regards,
			Jonathan