Re: I hate Linux -- Apple is leading the standards charge on the

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 11:33, john doe wrote:
> actually i have to disagree, i rather like the g3/g4/g4e design, and
> honestly the g5 isnt that much different (ok it is to an extent).

IBM's 64-bit Power4 gone PowerPC compatible?  Damn straight it's
different!  Big time!

IBM broke with PowerPC compatibility a long time ago after its PowerPC
620 design failure.  Motorola carried on the charge.  Now IBM is back,
and it's 3x faster with the PowerPC 970.

> You have to remember that motorola is an embeded hardware company, and
> it shows in the g3/4/4e designs.

Okay, I'll step back.

For an embedded chip, the G3/4 isn't bad.

But I still like IBM's price-performance deal.

And there's no comparing to the PowerPC 970, which is both a high-end
workstation/server chip _and_ a lower-power, workstation portable chip.

> altivec "rocks yer fro" btw :)

Of course.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org