Re: I hate Linux

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 23:44, Travis Owens wrote:

> how long you've been using Linux as a desktop?

I've been playing with Linux since probably 1995.

> I do understand that GPG keys are a bit of a pain sometimes, but then
> again, so is getting hacked, cracked, and all the things that happen to
> bring about encryption and authentication.

Let me think back to the last time I was hacked/cracked..... never! I
suppose it has it's uses but all I want to do is install a simple app.
When I try to do it vie apt, I need to get the GPG key. When I download
the rpm and try to install it that way I have dependency problems. Not
very user friendly and at that point in time I'm not real concerned
about how much experience I have or why things are the way they are. I
just want it to work without aggrevating me.

> I myself have been using Linux on the desktop (as my full-time desktop
> w/o any Windows) for over 2 years. I know for a fact that there are many
> more on this list that can put up longer times, but the simple fact
> remains, after being in an open environment for that long, there's no
> way I could ever go back.

I would never go back. Didn't say I would. Just wanted to generate some
thoughts. Got a few responses off list from those who wanted to avoid a
flame war. I'm just one user who thinks things should be better for the
casual/newbie user. I am not a developer, and don't want to be, so
basically I'm complaining about something that I would have to rely on
others to fix.

> Sorry for the rant (so-to-speak)...

The exact purpose for my post, no need to apologize.