Re: considering covad

At 04:30 PM 1/27/2004, you wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, L. V. Lammert wrote:
>
> > If you're getting $40/month for 2B ISDN, the analog phone rate must be
> less
> > than $10, .. so that's not TOO significant a savings. The are a lot of
> > other 'gotcha's', however, .. BIGGIE - ISDN phones must be connected to a
> > UPS, as they do not line power! You could use a router that allows analog
> > phones instead of ISDN phones, .. but better have your UPS handy!
>
>It's not your phones that matter, it's your ISDN router.

The other gotcha I just realized is that if you are connecting a router to
the ISDN lines, you cannot get any features on the analog phones connected
INTO the router.

To use call waiting, caller ID, etc., you need an ISDN *phone*.

>I pay $92 TOTAL for 2 ISDN circuits (2x2B),

There's your line charges!

>analog phone rates.  So, you're comparing $109 + analog line phone
>service, for a total of around $135, compared to $40 + $45, for a total of
>$85 for both Internet and phone service, if you use me as an example.

Sorry, that doesn't wash - you still have to pay for the ISDN lines! You're
paying $90 for them now, .. how are you going to cut that to $45? Switching
to the 20 hour plan for $45 isn't going to work. Even the 40 hour plan is
about $65/month. We use the ISDN cheapest service ($40/month) only because
it's the backup - never been up for more than a few minutes.

         Lee