Old Printers never die, they just upgrade to Linux

http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=38596,00.asp

It's a year old, but the pressure of non-existant drivers in Windows XP
for old hardware didn't stop.

To anyone looking for their non-existant Windows XP driver for their 3
or 4 year-old printers and other hardware -- that are still in fine
working order -- this is an excellent opportunity to introduce them to
the wonderful world of Open Source. It is very likely (with the ONE
exception of Canon) to have excellent driver support under CUPS and
foomatic.

And once you have Open Source driver support, you have support
*forever*. Because you *don't have to upgrade* if you don't want to.

And those older inkjet printers didn't come with DMCA-abusing chips in
them to force you to buy overpriced ink cartridges. :=)

I recently picked up two color cartridges and 4 black ones for my Epson
Stylus Color for the princely sum of $13, shipping included.

I believe that Office Max wanted to charge me $30 EACH to special order
the black ink cartridge and $40 EACH for one color cartridge.

For folks in the same boat, check out http://www.monsterinkjets.com/ or
http://www.megatoners.com or http://shop.vendio.com/janeb/home.html for
some rock bottom prices on inkjet cartridges.

Be aware that if they run out of stock, it may take up to a month for a
new container to come over from china. :=)

Mike/