Re: Distro's that dont come with proper lib's

Tim Grossner said:
> So...Anyone out there have a sugestion for me?
[...]
> My question is this...Is there a distro out there that is easy to keep up
> the library library, without f'ing up the whole thing?

Red Hat, Debian, SuSE, Caldera, Stampede, or anything else that has a
clue about package management.  (In other words, anything other than
Slackware.)

> Plus I want to be
> able to add software without worrying about about RPM's placing things where
> i dont know!

There's no question where rpm puts things...

osiris:~$ rpm -ql bash
/bin/bash
/bin/sh
/etc/bashrc
/usr/bin/bashbug
/usr/doc/bash-1.14.7
/usr/doc/bash-1.14.7/NEWS
/usr/doc/bash-1.14.7/README
/usr/doc/bash-1.14.7/RELEASE
/usr/info/bash.info.gz
/usr/man/man1/bash.1
/usr/man/man1/sh.1
osiris:~$ rpm -qlp rpm-devel-2.5.3-5.1.i386.rpm
/usr/include/rpm
/usr/include/rpm/dbindex.h
/usr/include/rpm/header.h
/usr/include/rpm/rpmlib.h
/usr/lib/librpm.a

> Folks, it seems to me like linux is, unfortunately, splintering up so much
> that interoperability is gonna soon be a thing of the past.

Three out of the five distributions I listed above use rpm (and the
ones that don't probably include alien), and I think four of the five
use glibc 2.0.  All are shipping a late 2.0 kernel last I checked.
How's that splintering?

Just because Patrick Volkerding hasn't learned how to build a modern
Linux distribution doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Linux...

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month