Re: M$ vs. the world (was Re: C# SIG - blah blah blah)

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 20:24, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On the other hand, under Miguel de Icaza's leadership, Mono is very
> appealing. It has real cross-platform capabilities plus a much easier
> programming environment than Java. I hear that ASP.net is a lot easier
> than JSP. Any IDE that runs constant syntax, bounds & range checking
> will score a lot of points. And being able to freely merge code segments
> written in PHP.net, C#.NET, or even COBOL.NET allows you use whatever
> language you feel strongly about to implement your share of code in a
> group development.

FYI (side note), understand that C#.NET and the CLR _is_ Java --
_direct_ code reuse.  Microsoft may no longer be able to use the Java(R)
brand, but they _have_ licensed and paid for the source code.

> I'm hoping that Novell will give Miguel the resources he needs to bring
> Mono home properly.

Novell seems to be doing just that.  They are some 20 years late to the
desktop party, 10 years after Gates predicted Novell would need to ship
a desktop OS or die (c/o Caldera v. MS) which was at the same time
Novell dismissed Linux as an option (and bought UNIX(R)), but I'm glad
they are here.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org  http://thebs.org
CCDP LPIC-2 MasCIWA MCSE2K+Sec RHCE9 SCNA8 SCSecA9 +20 more certs