buying a server

Greetings,

I have used desktops as servers, before, but I have
never had a "real" server.  I may have the chance to
get one, but some of the choices are not clear to
me.

I am looking, roughly, at a Dell PowerEdge 4600 with
dual 2.4 G Xeon processors with a three-disk RAID.

One question is about the tape drive at over $900.
Is tape worth that?  (I just backup to CD's anymore.)

Should I bother with the Microsoft OS on it or save
that $200?  (I will, of course, be running Linux,
probably SuSE.)  Does it make sense to dual boot
servers?  (The only advantage I can see is that
I could put on my resume that I have used a
Windows Server.)

TBU S/W VERITAS BUE Professional Suite software
is over $1,500.  It appears to be for the tape
backup, which I don't think I'll even have.  Also,
if I'm running Linux, I won't be needing this.
I'm I correct, here?

<http://mypage.siu.edu/clangin>  <clangin@siu.edu>
~~~Diagonally parked in a parallel universe~~~~~~~