Re: request

> It is easier to set up than Postfix
I'd dispute this if only because with no prior experience I was able to
look at the well-commented config file, change a couple lines to
illinois.dyndns.org and change it from mbox to Maildir/ because Maildir
was what courier required. Unless qmail comes with a setup that
autodetects the settings in your mind, I think that at most, they could be
equally easy to set up.

> especially if you are routing SMTP,
This requires a little bit of reading, but there are text files in the
/usr/local/etc/postfix (or wherever your system keeps postfix configs) for
various things. a text file to specify routing tables is one of the files
in there (although perhaps not created by default).

> or have many domains to deal with.
The above comment applies here too.

> has never had a security breach.
djb is known for his secure code. I don't know if I like software that has
never seen a breach though. Maybe its just paranoia.

www.postfix.org
For instructions, I've found a couple good walk-throughs although the
files in /usr/local/etc/postfix are very well commented.

On freshrpms.net:
http://freshrpms.net/docs/mail-server/ (This example uses RedHat 7.3 and
includes integration with dovecot for secure imap services and ldap).

On littlewhitedog.com:
http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00029.asp (This example is
part of a complete FreeBSD configuration. The examples given for postfix
and courier are very good.)

To install postfix, I recommend using apt-get on recent redhat systems (or
use the regular methods), postfix is already installed on mandrake (unless
you have changed it), apt-get can be used to install it on debian-based
systems, you can fetch it from www.postfix.org, or, my favorite option if
I have to use Linux: NetBSD's pkgsrc. This is a complete port of the ports
system to multiple platforms including Linux. cd /usr/pkgsrc/mail/postfix
&& make install clean

You can get more info on nbsd pkgsrc from
http://netbsd.pair.com/Documentation/software/packages.html
(netbsd.pair.com is a www.netbsd.org mirror, slightly closer to home). As
I understand it, pkgsrc also has binary packages for multiple platforms,
including debian and more interestingly Slackware.

Cheers,
Brandon