Re: OT: Quoting (was Re: Apache)

Again, my apologies to those list members to whom this has no meaning...

mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> It was a "fat fingered" mis-attribution.

No, it was a lack of attribution, period.  You apparently just decided
that Steve wasn't important enough to be mentioned, even though you were
replying to HIS post, not mine.  However, thank you for the proper
attribution in your latest reply.

> And yes, I've been around on the net to
> know that quoting messages in their entirety adding one's own commend to the top
> does *NOTHING* for providing context to specific comments. So I was re-arranging
> the quotes to be as concise as possible, with a linear flow, and with my
> comments at the BOTTOM, so that the reader will have already read the context to
> which I refer. And there's plenty of agreement with me on that style. But folks

In fact, I agree with that style, and use it.  Go back through the
archives, and you'll see.

> (apparently, such as yourself) that were raised on the default "Micro$oft
> Outlook reply style" don't get that.

See, that's where you're wrong.  See above.  Oh, but let me repeat,
"you're wrong."

> And we all know that we all got the
> passages in their entirety. It's lazy and disrespectful to the reader.

Providing proper context is needed, and failure to do so is more
disrespectful.  I usually employ the Usenet style of quoting.

> Since you're so fond of pointing out quoting ettiquette, care to comment on
> your own inability to edit for context, as I'm wondering about the value-add
> in your quoting the lone ">Mike/" line. I left your own .sig line in to point
> out that you intentionally posted before and after it, so you must have meant to
> include it - purposelessly, perhaps?

That's not my .sig, it's my closing line, just like "Mike/" is your
closing line.  Kara, on the other hand, usually does not bother with a
closing line.  Either way, I quote the previous poster's closing line if
included, or use the first part of their .sig, like when I reply to a
message from Kara.  So, again, you're wrong.

If you'd like to see an example of poor context, driven by lack of
proper quoting, see this:
http://www.silug.org/lists/silug-discuss/200311/msg00107.html
Oh, look, that was from you...  Hmmm...  Imagine that...

Just for clarification, my .sig is the part below that starts

> But at least you stripped the Valuenet .sig that I can't control.

Oh, you mean instead of taking it out of context (even in fun) and
asking you why you're trying to shove Valuenet down my throat when I'm
out of their service area ( :-P )?

> Mike/ <- your closing line

William <- my closing line

| my .sig