Re: apt questions

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:02:04PM -0600, Scott C. Linnenbringer wrote:
> I suppose .. but if you already have a file encoded in MP3, why would
> you want to encode it into Vorbis?
>
> Even if you look at the legal issues, it's still illegal to distribute a
> medium in a patented, nonfree format such as MPEG-3 that has been
> converted into a patent and royalty-free format such as OGG/Vorbis. The
> medium was still derived from a patented and protected format, even if
> it lost quality or not... and I wouldn't be surprised if it were argued
> in front of a court eventually.

I'm trying to move away from mp3s in order to have one less library to install and keep track of. The fewer packages needed, the better as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I used an mp3 to ogg script on a different machine so I didn't have to download the mp3 plugin for xmms when I was still using redhat 8 and 9.

Brandon