Re: apt questions

Koree A. Smith wrote:

>Wanting to convert files that are already mp3s,
>instead of re-ripping all of them off of the CDs.

You *do* realize that mp3 is a "lossy" compression. The only way to
convert them is to "uncompress" them back into 44.1Khz stereo samples
(aka a "wav" file) and then to "recompress" them as oggs. The problem is
that most of the "uncompressed" actual data is *synthesized* (i.e. made
up out of random data - although it's not quite random, technically) and
then you are recompressing *that* as if it really were "real" data when
you convert it back down to oggs. You can do so, but you might get
aliasing and other artifacts of the process that result in audible
defects - harmonics, tonality, etc. that are undesirable, and perhaps
even unlistenable.

You really want to re-rip them from the original if you can.

>That Hold entry is exactly what I was trying to do in the apt.conf file, but, it appears I had some incorrect
>syntax :D  the "^" and the "$", are those regex or are they some strange brew that is apt specific?

Don't know. It's not quite Perl as I understand it. Let's just say that
describing those features of apt as "under-documented" is being
generous. Perhaps you'd care to write some? There's a Debian wiki at
http://wiki.debian.net/ *shrug*

Mike/