Command line/scriptable graphics manipulation

Hello,
I'm looking for some recomendations for a cli/scriptable graphics program.
All I need right now is to be able to take a list of images and just
rescale/compress them.
ie. take a list of pictures of candles (2048x1536) and make several versions
1024x768, 128x96, etc.
I need something that is either cli or scriptable, as  I want this to be as
automated as possible.

I'm trying to learn the gimp right now (currently downloading the user manual
and 'grokking the gimp', plus starting to play with the program.
I see the gimp has a scripting feature 'ScriptFu', but it would be nice to
have something a little 'lighter weight' for this task.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt Wehland
littlegrassy.com