apt questions

Is there a way to configure atp to ignore certain packages?  I've tried
what seems to be the way to do so in the apt.conf, but it's not working.
I'm wanting it to ignore mozilla and xmms, as it keeps erroring out on
those because mozilla is a newer version than what RH9 wants to install,
and xmms is a version that actually supports mp3 (yes, I know ogg rules,
but I haven't had time to convert all of my mp3s yet - btw, anyone know of
a good mass ogg encoding program?).  Anyway, any help would be
appreciated.  I'm sure I'm just making a typo in the config or
something...

Koree