Re: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning (fwd)

My vote is SUSE.

I know they were just bought by Novell, but I'm still using them until
I'm given a serious reason not to.

SUSE has an incredible desktop environment (KDE is the primary focus),
and YAST (SUSE's configuration tool) is a very robust and intuitive
program.

Also, being familiar with SUSE, you may want to recommend them at work,
considering they're very serious in the Enterprise environment too.

Since you don't need serious manuals for using Linux, I would recommend
the SUSE 9.0 Professional Update. (using the word "update" very loosely)
It's not really an update, it's the same software you get in the
Professional version of their distro releases, just w/o the books and
fancy box. You get 2 DVDs and 5 CDs.  (pretty nice...) ;)

http://store.suse.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?xid=40017&SP=10023&PN=1&V1=614096&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

You can check out screen shots here:

http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/index.html

HTH,