Re: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning (fwd)

Koree,

I'm not going to answer your question directly, because I can't w/o some
more info.

Having used many distros, and many different desktop setups on these
distros, each distro is a little different, and you need to figure out
what you're going to do with your setup before you pick the distro you
want.

If you want a solid desktop, designed around the end user and *NOT* an
admin or serious programmer, you would do well to look at Xandros, or
Lycoris, or (gulp) even Lindows.

If you're a programmer and really don't need a ton of fluff, and would
much prefer a stable box or a streamlined approach, you'd probably favor
the Gentoo or regular Debian distros.

If you're a network admin and like a lot of tools and extra stuff, you
would probably favor the SUSE distro and perhaps the Libranet distro.

Obviously, this is a very serious change, considering by your previous
comments, you've been with RH for a *long* time. You'll have to
"unlearn" your linux knowledge, and re-learn it in another fashion (not
every command, but basic distro specific concepts)

If you need help in SUSE, I can school you pretty well, and fairly good
with Debian based distros. Not so hot on Gentoo, (primarily b/c I've not
had time to try it seriously)

Best advice, find someone physically that's using another distro and use
that if possible. They'll be able to help you out on specifics. Makes
the transition a lot easier!

HTH,
Travis.

--