new user doesn't crash

Several short power failures within a week. Just long enough to cause a
reboot while logged in as user steve.

Afterward my X session would randomly lock up while logged in as steve.
Eventually X would crash so severely the it would cause the machine to
completely reboot.

I made a new user, as a random attempt to troubleshoot, and have been
logged in as that user for the past several days with no problems. It
would appear that steve's config files are corrupted. The file system
has had fsck run on it several times. There were never any backups made.

2 questions. Does anyone think that user is recoverable, and if not,
what is the easiest way to convert the one user environment over to the
other. Root is fine. I'm thinking I'll have to import each app, one at a
time, especially my address book and sane setup.

--
Stephen D. Reindl <sreindl@apci.net>