Re: MDK 9.2 out

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:52:35 GMT, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

<...>
> mike808 wrote:
> >> also have a license/access to the"PowerPack" ISOs, but am not able
> >> to distribute them.
>
> Scott queried:
> > non-disclosure agreement? *cough*
>
> Nope. Inclusion of commercially licensed software that does not
> include the right to copy and re-distribute. MDK negotiated a license
> for themselves to do so from companies that do not offer their
> software under the GPL.

Ah, interesting. I didn't know Mandrake was bundling commercial software
now, guess I haven't been keeping up with Mandrake. ;)

> > I was being nailed with Swen.W32
>
> Odd. Since I've been Windows-free, I've never really worried about
> that stuff. Please accept my condolences for your productivity loss.
> :)

;)

Even though I've been without booting into Windows for about 6 months, I
still got about 100-150 Swen.W32 messages per day, on top of a lot of
spam, which was getting to the point of annoyance. In fact, I even
switched ISPs from Eskimo to Panix, so now I have access to
SpamAssassin, a bunch of excellent user contributed procmail recipes and
numerous other bayesian filtering software, all kept nicely up to date.
My spam problem has essentially been eliminated (and panix has some
neat other services.)

Since I post a lot to the USENET, and a lot to Debian mailing lists
which get relayed to the USENET (debian.* and linux.* hierarchy,) it's
easy for spammers/infected users to pull my email address because of the
nature of NNTP. Many debian-user subscribers have been getting nailed
hard, and it's generally accepted that because NNTP makes it so simple
for spammers to harvest addresses (they only have to download the
headers instead of the actual message content making it attractive,) we
seem to be the target. :/

> > Lindbergh was having a huge football game that night
>
> Are you in touch with or were part of the HSLUG folks?
> They've kind of disappeared/disbanded.

Not really. I talked to them via email, but I never really got highly
involved. I think they were either from Hazelwood or Parkway, two
schools I am not very familiar with.

--
scott c. linnenbringer    |  sl@panix.com
http://www.panix.com/~sl  | sl@moslug.org