Creating & Copying Data CDs.

I have been studying two tutorials that I found on the internet.

YoLinux says that there are two methods which I can use to make iso images of
data CDs.

  cat /dev/cdrom > /home/user/isoname.iso
  mkisofs /dev/cdrom -r -o /home/user/isoname.iso.

Troubleshooters.com says that the only way I can be 100% sure that the iso looks
precisely like the CD is to do the following two-step process.

  1. isoinfo /dev/cdrom -d -i

which will report block size (bs) and volume size (count), then

  2. dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/user/isoname.iso bs=nnnn count=nnnnnn

YoLinux warns that any other procedure might produce an iso which generates a
md5sum different from the original CD.

Truth or BS?

YoLinux also warns that I should ALWAYS use the -pad switch when burning data
CDs. I read the description of the -pad switch in the cdrecord man page, but I'm
not geeky enough to understand what the writer was trying to tell me. :-(

Again, truth or BS?

The Troubleshooters tutorial is at http://troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

The YoLinux tutorial is at
http://www.yo-linux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html