Re: TextMaker: Should we support FreeBSD at all?

Mike> TextMaker is a closed-source, proprietary product. Financially
Mike> supporting them by purchasing their product does *nothing* to
Mike> promote the use of Free Software - BSD-style *or* GPL-style.

I have no problem purchasing closed-source proprietary software if:

 It's reasonably priced,
 I can save data in non-proprietary formats,
 The programmer is not taking advantage of GPL'ed code,
 The company competes based on product quality alone.

To the best of my knowledge, Softmaker meets all those criteria.

How can you say that Softmaker is not promoting the use of Open-source
software when they simultaneously release Windows and Linux versions
of their products?