My Next Computer

Switched to the Openoffice 1.1 word processor.  No type-ahead!  OO's
long start-up time doesn't seem so bad any more.  Guess I'll be
thinking twice before going back to Abiword or Textmaker. :-)

A short history lesson...
  1988 - purchased my first computer (Mac SE)
  1993 - purchased my second computer (Mac LC-III)
  1998 - Built my present computer (AMD K-6/II)
  2003 - Does anyone see a pattern here?

KP> You get more bang for your buck with AMD.  The "sweet spot" on
KP> Athlons right now are the 2500+ Barton and 2600+, running $130 -
KP> $145 on the outside.  You can get decent performance out of a 2200
KP> or 2400+, for $100 and $115, but for just $30 more, jumping to
KP> 333mhz FSB is nice :)

I prefer AMD over Intel. And assuming that this box will be with me
for another five years, spending the extra $30 is a no-brainer.
Sounds like we just agreed on the processor. :-)

KP> A NIC is only $5.

I'll transplant the one I've got.  I'll also transplant the Sound
Blaster PCI-16.  Please recommend a video card based on my discussion
in previous e-mails.  We've ruled out nVidia and we agree that ATI is
good stuff.  What's your opinion on Matrox; it seems that they're
highly regarded by the Linux community.

KP> We are happy with MSI and Gigabyte for general systems, though use
KP> MTC, Tyan, and Intel for special projects on occasion.

I'll look at their websites.  Specifically, I'll be looking for
motherboards that have the least extra circuitry (sound, video, NIC).
Taking into account what I said in the previous paragraph, we need to
have a discussion regarding the quality of on-board circuitry versus
bring-yer-own-card.  I've never had any luck with sound cards other
than Sound Blaster, and I am not aware that SB chips are built into
anyone's motherboards.  Should I lean towards or stay away from
certain chipsets?  (I don't think that I'll be considering the Intel
chipsets. Or the nForce.)

KP> We don't use anything smaller than a 250W [power supplies] in our
KP> systems.  We have $40 400W power supplies, though the 250s in the
KP> $70 cases are pretty good.

Based on on-line reviews that I've read, there seem to be a thousand
PS manufacturers out there and only half-a-dozen whose products are
worth the money.  Antec is repeatedly listed as the Honda/Acura of PS
manufacturers.  Enermax has a good reputation.  I paid $50 for the
300W Antec that I have now, and as far as I'm concerned, it's worth
every penny. What brand(s) do you use?  Make me feel warm & fuzzy.
I'm not gonna cripple a first-class system with a second-rate PS.
Wait!  I can always swap your PS and my PS.  Problem? What problem?

KP> We have -nice- chenbro cases (toolless).

I'll check them out.

KP> As a rule, we haven't had any issues with retail CPU fans on the
KP> Athlons, but we are picky about air flow in our cases and adequate
KP> fans, which I think makes a really big difference.  For OEM cases,
KP> we use Coolermaster fans, which are very good and affordable.

I think that you're going to consider my existing case inadequate for
upgrade purposes. The only fans are the processor fan and PS fan, and
there are no... punch-outs(?) for case fans.  I assume that Chenbro's
come with punch-outs, and that you add the fans yourselves.

KP> You can invest in panaflow or grommet in your fans to help reduce
KP> the noise.

I have no idea what this is.

KP> It is worth the noise to have good airflow though.

You and I are going to have to have a very long, very serious
discussion about panaflow and grommet.  ;-)

KP> HDD are cheap, especially if you buy your own at Sam's (hint).

I'll transplant my existing 20-gig WD drive, assuming newer
motherboards still handle IDE.  Or have they all switched to SATA?

KP> A CD-ROM $25.  A burner $55 or so.

I'll transplant my Sony 52X CD-R/RW.

KP> A "school" computer or office PC is pretty happy with 256mb.  I
KP> never do a gaming system with less than 512mb.  Someone who is
KP> doing heavy gaming or development (or can afford it) can go with
KP> 1GB, but that's really a luxury :-)

I am not a gamer, but...  Let's aim for 512mb.  Preferably on a single
DIMM so as not to compromise future upgrades.  What kind of memory are
we talking about - 2100?