Re: SOLARIS: su - user not passing cmd args

> unix is unix, right?  /me ducks and runs for cover

But this is 'su' and 'login' and 'sh/ksh/bash' interaction.
All legit user-space stuff.

> first question, what does the /etc/passwd entry look like for this
> account?  do they have a shell or are they using /bin/false?

The default shell is /bin/ksh, which is why I'm trying to detect in the
.profile that it's a login shell and switch to bash. I don't want to switch
when they really want a ksh instance, such as in a script.

bash ignores the .profile (running .bash_profile instead), so this is safe.

I can detect the login shell (i.e. $0 == '-ksh'), but no arguments, so I
can't pass them to the replacement bash (i.e. exec bash --login "$@").

> Tell me if you have used the following tags:
> -l or --login to make it read the .profile.
> -s or --shell=/bin/bash to make it use bash instead of whatever you are
> getting when you su.

What tags? 'su' doesn't take those options on Solaris. You must be mistaking
this for a Linux question. This is Solaris' 'su', not some fancy-schmancy
Linux version on steroids. You did see the big "SOLARIS" in the subject line,
no? :=)

Mike/