Re: SOLARIS: su - user not passing cmd args

> I know this is potentially off-topic, but there doesn't seem to be
> anything more than unanswered posts in Sun's support forums on this. And
> there doesn't seem to be a Solaris-specific community here in St. Louis,
> so I'm expanding my search.

unix is unix, right?  /me ducks and runs for cover

> On a SOLARIS 8 system, I'm doing the following:
>
>   su - some_user -c 'some_command arg1 arg2 arg3'
>
> However, within the .profile of 'some_user' none of the shells is able to  "see"
> the command line arguments passed to it with the '-c' option.

first question, what does the /etc/passwd entry look like for this
account?  do they have a shell or are they using /bin/false?

> Can anyone else with Solaris duplicate this or (even better) offer an
> solution?

Tell me if you have used the following tags:
-l or --login to make it read the .profile.
-s or --shell=/bin/bash to make it use bash instead of whatever you are
getting when you su.

tighe

--
Tighe Schlottog         workape         fiaid
"Nothing is too cruel if it is funny enough."