Re: RMS Road Trip

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:26:52 GMT, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

<...>

> > If anyone does go, be sure to ask about RMS' views on the DFSG and
> > the GFDL nonfree/invariant-section controversey. ;)
>
> You mean ... like ... *me*? :=)

Indeed! I might come along, too, since I don't have any classes on
Friday. I'd love to see if he's willing to talk at all about the GFDL,
especially since I've been kind of interested in the topic for the last
couple of months or so.

> Are you talking about stuff like:
>   http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200308/msg0
>   1031.html

Yeah, the first one is the GFDL FAQ from the Debian perspective ... the
second one is a message sent to debian-legal recently by the vocal
Branden Robinson trying to get an understanding of the general list
consensus.

However, this whole debate has been going on for at least 2 years now,
and nearly all of debian-legal's traffic deals with it. Mostly it's just
"a compromise for the GFDL," "a solution for the GFDL," "foobar license
to replace the GFDL," bla bla. It's almost become a religious issue,
really.

And it's kind of interesting to read, since more emotions fly on
debian-legal than in a British romanticism novella.

Plus it'd be cool to see RMS give his views on both the GFDL and some of
his other very *strong* opinions, in real life!

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer		[sl@eskimo.com]
http://www.eskimo.com/~sl/info.txt 	[sl@moslug.org]

PGP signature